Reef Renewal Foundation SVG is a non-profit organization that was set up in 2020 by the initiative of Serenity Dive.
Serenity Dive was eager to expand their kid’s dive program to include coral restoration and after meeting Ken Nedimyer at the 2019 DEMA show it was decided to bring this work to St. Vincent. In January 2020, with the help and knowledge of Ken Nedimyer and coordination between the St Vincent and the Grenadines fisheries division, a permit was granted to allow for a reef restoration project. Reef Renewal Foundation SVG was created.
The work focuses on restoration of the shallow reefs by establishing elkhorn coral (Acropora palmata) nurseries and restoration sites. The project started with 10 coral nursery trees, holding 800 coral fragments and over the course of the year these fragments are almost ready for the first outplanting event.
Reef Renewal Foundation SVG protects and restores coral reefs in St. Vincent and the Grenadines by:
- training, engaging, and inspiring the local and international community through volunteering, educational events, and outreach
- developing new and innovative ways to restore coral reefs with the support of research collaborators and then sharing this information with restoration projects worldwide
- demonstrating that through combined efforts, there is still hope for coral reefs
The vision of Reef Renewal Foundation SVG is a world:
- Where knowledge and experience can be shared
- Where reefs are protected and restored
- Where reef degradation is halted
- Where ocean awareness is promoted
Our Core Values
- Be committed and determined
- Be accountable
- Be transparent
- Be positive and motivational
- Have integrity
- Pursue growth and learning
- Embrace and drive change